It was an eerily humid South Carolina day. It had just rained, but it wasn’t the refreshing kind…more like the drips from the ceiling of a sauna. I remember the silent, dark mass hovering above me, moving slowly through the sky. I remember the intrigue. But that’s all. The next moment was just disorientation. The steam coming up from the street seemed consuming and I was having trouble breathing. I went inside to regain my strength, confused as to how a few minutes outside could be so draining.
I share this story from my childhood because I want you to understand just how much I like myself. When I thought back on this experience years later while listening to late-night radio I realized that I may have actually been abducted by aliens. I won’t go into the details…but here’s the point. I immediately could only think of two reasons why aliens would have abducted little-ole me:
- They somehow could see the future. They knew that I was going to turn out to be an amazing influential, awesome leader. And they wanted to experiment on me to understand what made me so great.
– OR –
- They actually did something to me that gave me subtle super-human qualities that I would use to become an amazing influential, awesome leader.
Yes. I’m that much in love with myself. But you know what? I like that about myself, too! I don’t believe that humility is all about thinking you’re less awesome than everyone else. Humility is a posture toward other people, having little to do with your self-image.
16 ways to like yourself but still be humble:
- Believe the best about the intentions of others.
- Take time to listen and understand other points of view.
- Remain Teachable.
- Don’t assume a place of honor. Let others invite you to that place.
- Honor Authority.
- Hang around people with higher developed capacity than you.
- Develop a friendship with someone poor.
- Find a Cause bigger than yourself.
- Start a blog…and see how many of your friends actually read it 🙂
- Place God’s ways and His Word above your reasoning.
- Find areas of your life you can submit to others.
- Give up your seat on a crowded bus/train.
- Get married. Have children.
- Invest in someone younger than you.
- Seek out and listen to someone’s story.
- Talk about how awesome someone else is.
What do you think? Is it possible to like yourself and still be humble? How do you do it?Read More